Wednesday, February 6, 2013

the tastiest red velvet cupcakes in town

Valentine's day is right around the corner!  I bet your sweetie (or your kids/buddies/co-workers) would love some red velvet cupcakes.  I bet they'd especially appreciate some of the best red velvet cupcakes they've EVER tasted!

I served these at Carson's Birthday party and on many other occasions and they are always a hit!


This makes a huge batch (3 dozen +).  I always seem to need LOTS of cupcakes, but if you need less, adjust accordingly.  I thought about halving it for you, but I think you should probably make the full batch!

INGREDIENTS

  • 4 cups flour
  • 2 tsp. baking soda
  • 2 tsp. baking powder
  • 2 tsp. salt
  • 2 Tbs. unsweeted baking cocoa (I'm a major fan of Ghirardelli)
  • 4 cups sugar
  • 2 cups vegetable oil
  • 4 eggs
  • 2 cups buttermilk (I usually make my own by combining 2 cups milk with 2 Tbs. lemon juice.  Let it sit for 5 mins. and you've got buttermilk).
  • 1.5 Tbs. vanilla extract
  • 2 tsp. white vinegar
  • 1 cup brewed hot coffee
  • red food coloring (I love this food coloring, a little goes a long way)

DIRECTIONS

  • preheat oven to 350
  • combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, cocoa and salt
  • in the bowl of your mixer (or a large bowl) combine sugar and oil.  Add eggs, buttermilk and vanilla and mix until combined
  • stir in the coffee and vinegar
  • add food coloring to reach desired color
  • slowly add dry ingredients to wet ingredients a bit at a time, continually mixing
  • pour/spoon the batter into cupcake tins (lined with your baking cups of choice)
  • bake for about 20 mins. (until a toothpick comes out clean)
  • let cool completely and frost with your favorite icing (I recommend cream cheese, here is my recipe!)
 I hope your sweeties enjoy these!

Oh, and if you're a richer chocolate fan, I'll post my chocolate cupcake recipe next!

2 comments:

  1. HI, Your party was so cute! I am so excited to try the red velvet cupcake recipe! Your cupcake toppers are so cute... how did you make those?
    Thanks for sharing!
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by my blog! Glad you liked the party. You'll love the cupcakes!
      Here what you need for the toppers:
      ~ printable cupcake toppers (I used some by Luvalexa - see the circus party decorations post for a link - or you can google/pinterest for thousands of possibilities!)
      ~ a scalloped 2" craft punch
      ~ lollipop sticks
      ~ glue or a glue gun
      There are links to the exactly what I used at the bottom of my vintage circus party, diy decorations post

      Happy Baking!

      Delete